Thursday, June 7, 2007

Attention Deficit

Do not let silence suggest a lack of activities in my life, rather a limited ability to focus. I have two introductory paragraphs for incomplete posts that were well intended but short lived.
I will include the "unpublished" beginnings with the caveat that a chronological reconstruction is not my intent but to delete the partial posts seems wasteful. Langston Hughes like- a dream deferred....or does it explode?


Dated 5/17
Title: Rollercoaster

I have had an amazing start to this week beginning with mother's day brunch in Laguna Beach Sunday, a visit to Disneyland Monday, work/birthday shopping for Nat's wife's 85th birthday Tuesday, and Universal Studios today. My aunt and uncle from Phoenix are in town on an amusement park week-long vacation with their grandchildren (3&5) and I have been fortunate to be able to tag along, schedule permitting. The week continues to go uphill as I have officially registered for the Intensive summer anatomy course and fall term at Western University and leave tomorrow after work for Denver. Having a full schedule has reminded me how much more productive and happier I am when I am busy, an interesting spin on the rest and relax theory.



Dated 5/27
Caldona



I often wonder what will be my legacy. Granted, that needs to be put into the context of a twenty three year old not quite sure of the future but making apparently life altering decisions- career choices, med school, travel. The past few weeks have not added much clarity into this endeavor but they have been truly rewarding and have provided thought provoking insights. Let me start off with a brief calendar since Mother's Day Sunday. Mother's Day Sunday consisted of a brunch at The Cottage in Laguna Beach, Monday was Disneyland with Todd, Janine, and their grandchildren (3&5), Tuesday was work-preparation for Lotte's 85th birthday, Wednesday was Universal studios (Curious George is one nice monkey!), Thursday was training my caregiver replacement and flight to Denver, Friday was spent visiting DU and in the evening celebrating with friends downtown, Saturday was recovering and another college-esq bbq party, Sunday was the Rockies game, Monday was Jrus and a dinner fiesta before returning to Santa Ana, Tuesday was work and last day of training, Wednesday
Thursday was work and picking up the Hoffman son and his family, Friday was Ikea, Saturday was babysitting, which leads us to today, two weeks later.
Not that a day by day account means much to others but as is evident by the schedule, it has been a full few weeks. What does this have to do with legacy?

To add a limited amount of clarity I will create a back story for the essential elements- First, Curious George provided free popcorn to the grandkids only because they were cute and hugged him. I wonder if Mickey is ever so generous? Second...the Rockies lost Royally to the Kansas City Royals after going into too many extra innings. Saturday was babysitting the Hoffman's grandkids so the adults could have an grown up night-and I was happy to be more a kid than adult with an excuse to play nok-hock, the precursor to air hockey and Nintendo Wii sports. Now to resolve the cliff hanger: legacy.

My grandpa returned home a week ago Wednesday and on his last night, he joined me on the piano to teach me an old time favorite song: Caldona, Caldona, What makes your big head so big? My grandpa is a man of many talents and a wealth of life experiences, but his piano music will be his legacy in my mind (that and his beef jerkey). While my parents watched the news Grandpa played Caldona repeatedly, his fingers filling in the music where his memory had lost the lyrics. Fascinating how procedural memory can outlast declarative memory impairments. While I was not able to pick up the melody and only learned the first line of the chorus, being in the moment with my grandpa was worth every second. I don't know what my legacy will be- likely different things to different people- but I hope some things I do will inspire others and create shared memories like the piano does for my grandfather.

And now a clean slate for a new post!

No comments: