Monday, April 9, 2007

Food + Family + Friends

Hands down, I think a true hallmark of a holiday is food, family, and friends-the rest is cosmetic. Sure some holidays commemorate a religious icon, anniversary, or culturally significant event but in reality these are just excuses. In my world travels, I'd argue with only my perception as support, in terms of celebrations, festivals, and overall fiestas, Americans are too structured and wait for a specific national date or traditional event, rather than create local holidays. A lunar eclipse, Feast day for a patron saint*, only a fifth of a handle remaining, a Wednesday, a wedding or birthday party of a neighbor (regardless if you are acquaintances or not), a friends homecoming or departure, are daily holidays that require fine food, conversations, and friends. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hinting that our culture lacks the fine art of traditions and celebrations....my time as a resident assistant (RA) and fraternity brother (Theta Chi) while an undergraduate provided plenty of evidence to the contrary! And I pray that in med school the party continues. I am saying though, that reserving the "holiday" status for Christmas, New Years, Valentines, St. Patrick's, Easter, Mothers/Fathers, MLK Jr., Presidents, Veterans, Columbus, Independence, Labor, Memorial, Halloween, and, Thanksgiving, a mere 4 percent of a year, does not set aside sufficient time to celebrate all that is worthy during the course of the year.

To be doing my part to keep the festive spirit alive, I am learning my way around the kitchen (since food is key to social gatherings!). Fortunately for me this endeavor has the added benefits of not only enhancing my holiday menus, but also diversifying my subsistence diet. There's hope that I will only rely on cup of noodles or Ramen monthly rather than daily in grad school. For a boy who's initial ambition was to be a piano playing chef in his own restaurant, my culinary skills need honing. Four years of Nelson cafeteria food did little in terms of preparing me to fend for myself; I have not however, been thrown to the wolfs because my culinary gifted mother has come to the rescue (and Chipotle)! This past week I made edible AND presentable chicken and dumplings from scratch, learned how to make a lump-free white sauce (with supervision), and dined on blackened salmon with a side of asparagus. Yes, I even had a side dish with the main course. Granted, my cell phone and an emergency call home (or work) is still a requisite but I am willing to be Machiavellian in this endeavor-the end justifies the means. And while cooking isn't quite a passion for me yet (the dishes at the end spoil it), chocolate is. I am progressing through chocolatier courses from Downey's Chocolates and learning to make homemade ganache (the filling inside a truffle) and temper chocolate. It truly is heavenly and I've had successes in and out of class. (The intermediate chocolatier course isn't until June so I have time to practice). I am looking forward to the days and weeks ahead as I continue to expand on my culinary repertoire be it to entertain, celebrate, or survive.

Even as standard holidays become more commercialized and politically correct, holidays and celebrations will remain special as the traditions remind us of our connections to the past, present, and future and the gathering unites together friends, family, and fun. I will do my part to keep the traditions alive, to make sure there is always excuse to celebrate, and to ensure everyone leaves full.

*Today (April 9th) for example is St. Acacius, St. Waldetrudis, Bl. Thomas of Tolentino, St. Casilda, St. Demetrius, St. Dotto, St. Eupsychius, St. Gaucherius, St. Hedda, St. Hugh of Rouen, St. Madrun, Martyrs of Croyland, Martyrs of Pannonia, Martyrs of Sirmium, and St. Mary Cleophas feast day (http://www.catholic.org/saints/sofd.php). For excuses for a celebration visit the Earth Calendar: http://www.earthcalendar.net/index.php.

1 comment:

adrianne said...

I actually did watch Mad Hot Ballroom and I LOVE IT. I actually want to own it.